The Laser-technology Laboratory was created on the basis of the Department for Laser Technologies in 2013. The Department conducts basic and applied research in the field of additive laser technologies. It closely collaborates with the Republican Engineering Center “KAI-Laser” and the leading company – the manufacturer of laser technological facilities IRE-Polus (Moscow). Besides the Laser-Technology Lab there are also the Lab for Additive Technologies, the Lab for Mechatronic Systems, the Lab for Optics and Laser Systems.
The objectives of the Lab include:
- technological re-equipment of mechanical engineering in the Republic of Tatarstan and the Russian Federation;
- designing advanced technologies in mechanical engineering;
- engineering support of the existing industrial facilities (small and medium-sized);
- creating an incubator of small and medium-sized industrial facilities.
There are various benefits in applying laser processing technologies such as
- versatility (cutting, welding, hardening, surfacing, tagging, cleaning);
- a wide range of implementation (aircraft and helicopter industry, automotive industry, shipbuilding, machine-tool manufacturing, etc);
- a considerable economic benefit;
- global leadership (IPG photonics cover more than 85% of the global market of fiber lasers).