- “KAI-Olymp” Sports and Leisure Complex
“KAI-Olymp” is one of the largest sports facilities of Kazan and Russia. It was built as part of “KAI-Grad” for the coming Universiade-2013. “KAI-Olymp” is ranked among 5 best sports complexes of Russia.
It is comprised of:
- A universal sports hall (4 000 sqm) opened in 2007 including a cross-functional hall of 32x48m., a gym of 500 sqm, a martial art gyml with a ring of 18x24 m. University teams on indoor soccer, handball and boxing are currently trained at the Universal sports hall.
- An indoor swimming pool opened in May 2010 with an area of 11000 sqm is one of the best swimming pools in Europe. Its swimming bath is 50x25 m. There are also a multi-functional hall of 840 sqm, a “dry-swimming” hall of 240 sqm and a gym of 220 sqm with a sauna. The swimming-pool is equipped with up-to-date engineering and sports facilities which provide opportunities to hold competitions on a highest level. University teams on basketball, volleyball, karate and water polo are presently trained in the building.
- A football stadium with 1500-supporter grand stands. In 2010 FIFA inspectors took part in the opening ceremony of this sports facility. University football teams are currently trained at the football stadium.
Director of “KAI-Olymp” Sports and Leisure Complex is Prof. Rinat A. Yusupov; Head of the Chair for Physical Education and Sports; ScDoctor in Biology; Honoured Worker of Physical Education of the Russian Federation.
Phone: (843) 562-03-91
- KNRTU-KAI Sports Club
Director: Vladislav D. Maksimov
Phone/Fax: (843) 562-03-63
Address: Kazan, 65 – Chistopolskaya Str.
Officer-in-Charge on Sports Activities: Aleksey Zayneev
Manager of KNRTU-KAI sports teams: Timut Khasanov
Head of KNRTU-KAI Sports Club media-group: Gulnaz Tukhvatshina
The KNRTU-KAI Sports Club was set up as one of the first sports clubs at universities of our Republic, far back in 1953. It arranges sports and leisure activities of our university, develops students self-governance for physical education.
In 2013 the KNRTU-KAI Sports Club was the first club among Tatarstan’s universities that entered the Russian Association of Sports Clubs. Since June 6, 2015 it has been a member of the All-Russian Youth Public Organization “The Russian Association of Sports Clubs” due to the minutes of meeting of the Coordination Council of “The Russian Association of Sports Clubs”.
Every year the KNRTU-KAI Sports Club organizes the following events:
At the University:
- Complex Spartak Games among students of KNRTU-KAI institutes and faculties on 14 sports;
- Spartak 6-Sports Games among KNRTU-KAI branches on the basis of the “KAI Olymp” Sports and Leisure Complex (since 2015);
- Spartak Games among first-year students on 7 sports;
- KNRTU-KAI Rector’s Cup on street ball;
- KNRTU-KAI Rector’s Cup on volleyball of a 2x2 type among women’s and men’s teams;
- Spring’s Cup on football among students (within the framework of KNRTU-KAI’s birthday ceremonies);
- Tourist Rally of KNRTU-KAI students;
- Meeting GTO standards among KNRTU-KAI students, etc.
In addition KNRTU-KAI Sports Club is involved in arranging and holding All-Russian and Republican competitions such as:
- The All-Russian Basketball Cup as part of training for the Belov League;
- The All-Russian A-Class Boxing Tournament named after A.I. Kiselev among students;
- The home-tour of the KNRTU-KAI basketball team;
- The home-tour of the KNRTU-KAI football team;
- Spartak 6-Sports Games of aviation universities in the Russian Federation;
- All-Russian Scientific and Practical Workshop “Physical Training and Sport as viewed by the Students”, etc.
KNRTU-KAI athletic teams always take part in the Spartak Games held on 33 sports among the universities of Tatarstan Republic. The Sports Club embraces over 30 teams on different sports: Armsport, Badminton, Basketball, Baseball, Billiards, Boxing, Kickboxing, Belt Wrestling, Koresh Wrestling, Volleyball, Handball, Kettlebell Lifting, Judo Wrestling, Karate, Track and Field Athletics, Cross-Country Skiing, Mini-Football, Sports Orienteering, Tourism, Eco-Tourism, Weightlifting, Football, Cheerleading, Chess, Swimming, Table Tennis, Wrestling, Sambo, Ice-Hockey (29).
KNRTU-KAI sports teams regularly participate in inter-university, Republican, All-Russian and international competitions where they take first prizes and awards.
- Aeromodelling Laboratory
The Aeromodelling Laboratory was set up in 1948. The history of the Laboratory abounds in many sports results and achievements. In 1949, in a year’s time after its creation, the first world record on a gyroplane’s control-line model was set by L.V. Murychev, the first Head of the Laboratory. During the years of the lab’s existence aeromodellers set 28 world records and 42 All-Union records. There were also 6 Masters of Sports of an international level and 32 Masters of Sports trained at the lab during this period.
In 1977 the KAI Aeromodelling Laboratory was conferred the Y. Gagarin Diploma, the top reward of the Aeromodelling Sports Federation. A. Andryukov, a KAI graduate, became a two-times champion of sports and a three-times champion of Europe in a class of rubber-motored models. The members of the Russian National Team A. Smolentsev, A. Burdov, V. Polyaev are currently trained at the laboratory. They are Masters of Sports of an international level, multiple champions of Russia and winners of international competitions. They also train young sportsmen in their model classes and successfully share the obtained experience with them. Present-day aeromodels go through 10-40-g loads, which is nearly impossible in major aviation. The fight for lightweight retaining while going through acceleration requires the application of state-of-the-art aviation techniques and materials. Different composites such as glass-fiber and carbon-fiber plastics, boron-fiber and organ-plastics have been introduced and successfully used at the Laboratory long ago. Theoretic surveys in this field are reflected in diploma- and term-papers, defended by aeromodellers, which are often considered most successful at the Institute and at the Faculty. Nowadays the Laboratory is the leading institution that applies such advanced materials. It coordinates the work of students, employees, pupils and amateur sportsmen in the following fields:
- Study of theoretical basics of flight operation and designing;
- Calculation and designing of models;
- Introducing new processing techniques and materials;
- Learning sports skills of controlling;
- Quality upgrading of models;
- Enhancement of aeromodelling sports skills;
- Achieving maximal results at Russian and international competitions.
Recent Achievements and Awards:
- The Russian Championship on April 15-19, 2014 in Nalchik-city – T. Useinov (6th place);
- The World Cup Stage – Kazakhstan Cup on June 15-19, 2014 in Uralsk-city – T. Useinov (3rd place), V. Polyaev (4th place);
- The World Cup Stage – Free Flight Holiday of Mongolia on September 5-6, 2014 in the Crimea – T. Useinov (2nd place), V. Polyaev (6th place);
- The World Cup Stage - Almaty Cup on September 19-21, 2014 in Samara-city – A. Burdov (1st place), T. Useinov (2nd place);
- The European Championship Salonta (Romania) on July 28, 2014 – August 03, 2014 – T. Useinov (2nd personal place); T. Useinov, A. Burdov, Bulatov (1st team place);
- The Final Count of the World Cup – T. Useinov (7th place);
- The Russian Championship on April 14-18, 2015 in Nalchik-city (3rd place);
- The Russian Cup Stage on May 19-21, 2015 in Samara-city – V. Polyaev (1st place), E. Pustoselov (2nd place);
- The World Cup Stages in Kazakhstan on June 16-21, 2015, The Kazakhstan Cup and the Montenegro Cup – T. Useinov (1st and 3rd places);
- The Russian Cup Stage in Nalchik-city on August 20-24, 2015 – T. Useinov (3rd place);
- The World Cup Stage in Suzdal-city on September 5-12, 2015 – A. Burdov (3rd place), T. Useinov (2nd place);
- The World Cup Stage in Samara-city on September 18-20, 2015 – T. Useinov (1st place).
Photo: The Russian national team on the European Championship in Romania (2014)
with two representatives of the KAI Aeromodelling Laboratory.
- Driver’s Training Course
Our driving school is one of the first schools for drivers in Kazan. It has excellent reputation, confirmed by time, and thousands of students who feel confident when driving in the city. Our aim is not statistics on exam results at State Motor Vehicle Inspectorate, but safe roads and competent drivers. The driving school has modern classrooms equipped with visual aids, computers, multimedia facilities, first aid lay figures, special simulators and an indoor training ground. We think that traditions together with progressive views can give an excellent result!
Our Director is Veronika M. Laskova.
Our address is Kazan, 55- Bolshaya Krasnaya Str. (KAI Building No. 7, ground floor, rooms 007 and 024).
Phone: (843) 231-00-65/ 231-00-64
- The Brain Club
The Brain Club of Kazan State Technical University named after Tupolev (KAI) or the so-called Club of Mind Games was created in 1996 on the basis of the existing teams “Autopilot” with fifth-year students of the Faculty of Automation and Electronic Instrument-making as its participants and the “Monsters of Information” consisting of postgraduates and fifth-year students of the Faculty of Management and Business Studies. There was also the “Megabyte” team consisting first-year students and headed by Ivan Kazachinskiy. The team split when it had not been qualified for the First Republican “Brain Ring” Championship. Its offsprings gave start to such famous teams as “Express” with Aleksey Popovich and Svetlana Skimel among its participants and the “Ricochet” with Ildar Khusnutdinov. The first Chairman of the KAI Brain Club was Andrey Daragan, who came from the legendary “Monsters of Information” team. In fall 1997 Aleksey Popovich was elected Chairman of the KAI Brain Club. Then appeared the “Resonance” team including basically the students of the Faculty of Aircraft Engines, the “KAI Wings” team that originally consisted of the students from the Faculty of Automation and Electronic Instrument-making and the “Courage” team with the students of the Faculty of Informatics and Computer Engineering. In fall 1998 Vil Kadyrmetov became Chairman of the Club instead of Aleksey Popovich who started to work as Captain of the team. There was also a new team “Camertone”, introduced in 1998, that opened a winter express-championship on the “What? Where? When?” Games held in the Club.
Every spring and fall the Brain Club holds traditional championships on the “What? Where? When?” Games and there is also the Brain Ring championship arranged in winter.
Our Chairman is Vil Kadyrmetov. Phone: (843) 36-87-30; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our address is Kazan, 10-Karl Marx Str., Room No.234 (The Council of Students and Postgraduates). Phone: (843) 38-43-61; e-mail: email@example.com
- KAI Student Club
The KAI student club is focused on implementing ideas and fulfilling creative potential of its students. For over nearly six decades the KAI student club has been one of the most prolific student organizations in Kazan and Tatarstan.
Every year there are new teams and performers that are born at KAI – infinitely creative, cheerful and bright. Semen Kaminskiy – a composer, an artist, a satirical writer, Eduard Tumanskiy – a singer, Maksim Sharafutdinov – a TV presenter on Channel One, Irek Ibatullin – Director of the “Unison” Theatre Moscow team, “Djuk Box” trio, Mitya Burmistrov – a famous beatboxer as well as many others – they all started their career in the KAI student club.
Nowadays a creative array of KNRTU-KAI students is well-known in the city and in the whole Republic. They give performances at large concert venues of Kazan and take first steps in their professional career. The members of the KAI student club regularly win at city, Republican and All-Russian competitions. KAI creative teams are members of the UNI-League and they took part in the opening and closing ceremonies of Universiade-2013 and Aquatics World Championship in 2015.
The University is particularly proud of “Ikariada” named after A. Raikin, the Russian festival of student vaudeville theaters. The student club has been holding this event since 1982. “Ikariada” provides opportunities for the wide audience to get acquainted with the theatrical work of young people. The interest to the theatre is growing every year. In 2015 over 40 applications were admitted and processed. 15 teams from 12 Russian cities participated in the festival. All in all over 3 thousand spectators had an opportunity to enjoy their performance. The guests and participants of the festival gave a very high appraisal for the event’s organization. KNRTU-KAI students took active part in it providing smooth running of the performance, accompanying the crews during sightseeing tours, familiarizing them with the culture and national customs of Tatarstan, creating an attractive image of the university, the city and the Republic.
The KAI student club for over many years has been cooperating with such organizations as the Russian Union of Youth, the Ministry for Sports and Youth Affairs of the Republic of Tatarstan, the Committee for Youth and Children’s Affairs of the Executive Board of Kazan-city, the Students League of the Republic of Tatarstan. Such collaboration helps the Club implement the tasks of the State Youth Policy of the Republic of Tatarstan by developing cultural and moral values of young people and supporting their creative potential.
- Tourist Club
The KAI Tourist Club is a student organization at KNRTU –KAI named after A.N. Tupolev, that provides opportunities for those who want to have a good time in the outdoors and enjoy nature! We arrange week-end hiking tours as well as sport tours, tourist rallies and competitions together with friendly tourist clubs. There is also a sports group at our club where students get their credits on physical training for their sports achievements. They can also take rest there as well as socialize and get lots of impressions in the company of interesting people.
- “Icarus” Sports and Health Camp
Director is Salikh S. Khakimov. Phone No.: 8 937 009 00 12
Deputy Director is Igor V. Kutenin. Phone No.: 8 937 009 00 27
Director of the Republican Computer School-Camp is Damira M. Osadchaya.
The “Icarus” Sports and Health Camp is located in the Laishevskiy district of the Republic of Tatarstan, the Matyushinskiy forest district, Block No. 88, the Blue Bay.
The “Icarus” Sports and Health Camp was created in 1963. The camp’s area is 10 ha. There are basically three recreation shifts for students and the University’s employees. The number of students on recreation runs up to 600 people in summer, the number of employees with families – up to 300 people. The camp has its own cafeteria, a club, a beach, shower rooms. For sports and health activities there are a football field, a basketball and two volleyball playing grounds, a badminton ground, a gymnastics ground, table tennis facilities. There is a doctor’s office, a room for medical procedures, an infirmary available at the camp. The “Intellect” Republican Computer School-Camp is functioning on the basis of the “Icarus” Sports and Health Camp. Every summer it invites around 200 students of 7-11 grades, who study and have rest on a two-shift basis at the camp.
- Skiing Center
The KNRTU-KAI Skiing Center with a total area of 8 346 sqm comprises one central building, four sports halls (a gym, halls for general fitness, remedial gymnastics and table tennis) and a ski-storage for 300 pairs of skis (plastic, wooden, wooden and plastic). Skiing runs are usually routed along the bank of Kazanka River, in Gorky Central Park for Recreation and Leisure located at a walking distance from the skiing center.
There are also grounds for playing football, volleyball, basketball, an outdoor running track. Classes on Physical Education for KNRTU-KAI students as well as students from KNRTU-KAI College and its Engineering Lyceum for gifted children are held at the Center. The events of the Department for Extra-curricular Activities are also arranged and held at the Center.
The Skiing Center’s territory also includes sports and technical, technical and creative unions of students headed by Valeriy Pestov, Head of the Center for Supporting Scientific and Technical Creativity of the Youth.
- “Sever” Students Construction Unit
The “Sever” students construction unit was set up in those days when such units were very popular in the Soviet Union and were supported by the government. “Young hands” were in great demand in the “black gold” producing industry in the North of the country. A great army of young people worked hard on the construction sites of the Northern region of the Soviet Union for more than two decades.
You can see the well-known KAI abbreviation written on the gables of residential and industrial buildings, on oil and gas facilities in northern cities and small towns of Russia. The first trip of the “Sever” construction unit was in 1968, when students went to Tarko-Sale, a small town of the Tyumen region. The students unit was originally created to build helicopter landing sites in Yamal. However it turned out that the necessary construction materials had not been delivered to the region, that’s why the trip was finally cancelled. The students went by polar plane to Tarko-Sale town in the north of the Tyumen region. Then Tarko-Sale was just a big sand bar in the middle of swamps. The students from Kazan were surprised by everything: impassable tundra, the customs of the local population, severe weather conditions. It was extremely hot and humid in the end of June and the sun wouldn’t set even at night. After hard work there, the students earned fairly good money. They returned in Kazan as rich people and brought lots of presents from the North.
The value of labour in the “Sever” students construction unit was always in the adaptation of the youth to the conditions of present-day industrial relations, the development of proactivity and independence, organizational and business competencies, cultural and moral ideals. The participation of young people in construction teams help them to combine the knowledge obtained at the university with the “real-life” practice. It gives them certain drive and good opportunities to earn money.